Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC), one of Canada’s leading conservation organizations, is currently seeking an agronomist to assist with the delivery of conservation programs in Saskatchewan.
In this one-year term position, you will plan and manage all the field operations required to successfully establish perennial forage crops on DUC properties. A solid understanding of annual cropping and forage production systems is necessary; including an ability to work with ag industry in order to coordinate field operations using contractors.
A strong network of producer and industry contacts will facilitate the tasks required to manage a large portfolio of properties in southern Saskatchewan. Additional responsibilities will include the enhancement and management of DUC’s conservation lands.
We are looking for an effective communicator who will thrive in a team environment. A self-starter with strong agronomic skills capable of managing a diverse portfolio of projects. You possess strong leadership, organizational and interpersonal skills. You have demonstrated expertise in project planning and execution, financial and contract management, and tendering and contractor supervision.
You are self-motivated, enjoy a complex, changing environment and can manage numerous projects on tight deadlines.
• A post-secondary degree in Agriculture with a major in agronomy or related discipline; preference will be given to those who possess a P. Ag and/or Certified crop advisor designation
• Previous experience with annual cropping systems and forage production
• Skill sets include experience with field scouting, weed identification and subsequent control recommendations, nutrient management, crop production, forage selection, and the ability to manage seeding and spraying operations
• Agriculture extension experience with farmers, ag retail and ag contractors
• Strong planning, reporting and project management skills
• An understanding of local agricultural, industry and conservation practices would be considered an asset
• Experience with GPS, ArcView, MS Office, and airphoto interpretation
• Excellent organization, interpersonal communication skills, both oral and written
The successful candidate will also have an affinity to the outdoors, conservation and the world of waterfowl.
How to Apply
If you’re a conservation-minded individual who is interested in this opportunity, please submit your cover letter (including salary expectations) and resumé for confidential consideration to the attention of:
Carly Bjornsson, HR Generalist
Ducks Unlimited Canada
Email: [email protected]
Closing deadline: January 18, 2017
Please quote “Agronomist Regina” in the subject line of your application.
Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC) is the leader in wetland conservation. A registered charity, DUC partners with government, industry, non-profit organizations and landowners to conserve wetlands that are critical to waterfowl, wildlife and the environment.
Learn more at ducks.ca.
While DUC would like to thank all applicants, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
Job type: Full-time