On behalf of our Client we are currently recruiting a Director of Safety to join their Winnipeg team. Reporting to the senior management team, the Director of Safety is responsible for developing and ensuring the overall success of the Safety Program, fostering a culture of safety and reducing work-related injuries and illness. The Director of Safety works closely with the senior management team and Board of Directors to establish and implement its strategic plan.
This leadership role will appeal to an entrepreneurial, service-focused individual who believes in the vision and goals of a safety program. The Director of Safety works in collaboration with its strategic business partners and stakeholders to understand industry needs and priorities, ensuring the organization develops and effectively delivers targeted programs and services, and strong financial, human resource and communications management. The successful candidate will have both leadership and management skills, the ability to develop and maintain an environment consistent with the organization’s values and the passion to drive a safer workplace.
• Provide information and analysis, advise and assist the Board in formulating the vision, goals, objectives and performance indicators for the safety program and ensure they are aligned with the organization’s strategic goals
• Identify and recommend policies, programs, services and new initiatives in response to recognized needs, trends and issues relevant to workplace safety and health
• Maintain current technical knowledge and understanding of leading practices in workplace safety, including any new developments related to workplace health and safety legislation and regulations or programs in other jurisdictions
• Manage and direct development and delivery of workplace health and safety programs and services including training, information and resources, on-site advisory services, and certification
• Supervise and provide guidance to safety personnel with their daily responsibilities
• Deliver safety and health programs, workshops and services as required
• Monitor health and safety programs and services in other jurisdictions to determine the suitability for adaptation
• Provide information and training materials as required and regular communications regarding health and safety
• Advise on health and safety of programs and trends, and on current or planned legislation or regulations
• Develop and maintain effective relationships with industry stakeholders and strategic partners, including federal and provincial governmental agencies, non-government organizations, health and safety leaders, educational institutions, and community organizations to support information sharing, cooperation and achievement of common goals
• Provide clear monthly, quarterly, annual and ad hoc reports to the senior management team and Board
Education, Certifications and Experience
• 5+ years in a management role with demonstrated skills in leading a team
• Certificate of completion of recognized post-secondary Occupational Health and Safety program
• Professional safety designation, such as CRSP, CSP preferred
• Post-secondary education in business or management, or equivalent
• Proven ability to assist in the development and adherence of a strategic business plan while delivering on objectives determined by Board
• Proven ability to apply sound judgment, integrity and leadership to work effectively across organizational levels and boundaries; from senior business leaders to line level supervisors, Board of Directors through to entry level staff, government, non-government organizations and community organizations
• Senior health and safety expertise, management and financial acumen required
• Excellent oral, written and presentation communication skills as well as experience facilitating discussions and consultations
If you feel you have the demonstrated background and are interested in learning more about this career opportunity, please forward your resume to [email protected] or call 204.336.6107.
Job type: Full-time