Position Title: Education Director
Location: Remotely and in office as required
Closing Date: Open until filled
Grand Council Treaty#3 is seeking an Education Director to be responsible for leading and undertaking GCT#3 education initiatives, especially the advocacy of our education rights and jurisdiction of education. The Education Director will work collaboratively with the our regional and community education directors and the Social Sustainability Chiefs as well with the Federal and Provincial governments and technicians.
• Lead the development of a Treaty#3 First Nations approach to transform education and re-assert First Nations jurisdiction
• Lead the development of a Treaty#3 Education law as mandated by Record of Decision RD#07-04 The Drafting of a Written Law on Education and CA-10-21 Directive Regarding the Written Law for Education
• Work with Canada to fully implement a Treaty#3 Education law
• Be the GCT#3 Technician on all Ontario, regional and national meetings with a Social Sustainability Chiefs who will be the representative in those meetings
• Prepare and provide briefing notes; position papers for the Office of the Ogichidaa, Social Sustainability Chiefs for advocacy on the treaty right to education
• Participate in the development, negotiation and execution of GCT3 Education budgets, workplans and lobbying to address specific education issues and priorities identified by Treaty#3 leadership and Treaty#3 Education Directors and Technicians
• Supervise and monitor education initiatives to ensure that initiative progress on schedule and within prescribed budgets
• Work collaboratively with GCT#3 Education staff to coordinate meetings of Education directors/technicians and with other GCT#3 portfolio areas
Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s Degree in Education or equivalent experience with a varied work experience in education.
• Knowledge of First Nations Treaty-Crown relationship and histories and knowledge of constitutional, legal, legislative and political framework that impacts First Nations.
• Experience working with First Nations in Treaty#3, experience working with Treaty#3 Tribal Councils and provincial and the federal government.
• Excellent leadership, oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent analytical, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
• Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
• Fluency in Anishinaabemowin is considered an asset.
Conditions of Employment:
• Must have valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle.
• Must have a clear criminal record with vulnerable sector check.
• Travel is required within Treaty #3 communities and surrounding areas.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate in their covering letter how they meet the qualification requirement of this position. Submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for 3 references to the attention of:
Oluyinka Leigh, HR Manager
Grand Council Treaty #3
P.O Box 1720 Kenora,
Ontario P9N 3X7
We are committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment supporting diversity in our work environment to provide quality care where all feel valued, respected, and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce reflective of the communities in which we live and serve and encourage Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities to apply and self-identify. Upon request, accommodations due to a disability are available throughout the selection process.
Job type: Full-time