Posted on November 25, 2021. Primary Region: Kenora, ON
Position: Ga-wii-do-kaaz (Diabetes Lead), Mat Leave Coverage
Location: Grand Council Treaty #3 Administration Office, Kenora ON
Closing Date: Open until filled
Under the supervision of the Provincial Policy Analyst, the Ga-wii-do-kaaz supports the work of Grand Council Treaty #3 through the implementation of the key priorities within the Siizibaakwataapinewin Diabetes Strategy.
• Engage communities and key partners on the implementation of the priorities within the strategy.
• Responsible for the direction, coordination, implementation, and evaluation of diabetes strategy including the provision of regular reports on the milestones and successes.
• Work with key partners and communities to develop nation based policy.
• Work with knowledge keepers and traditional medicine people.
• Develop educational tools and resources utilizing role models and people with lived experience to promote healthy living and wellness.
• Research best practice care models for diabetes to help inform the work within the strategy.
• Research, review, monitor and analyze provincial and federal government policy, and initiatives that impact people living with diabetes.
• Coordinate nation-based networking of diabetes leads to provide engagement, updates and supports.
• Ability to adapt to changing situations and to accomplish the most essential activities.
• Work closely with the GCT#3 health team and health council leads.
• Participate and attend meetings as required.
• Identify and provide reports on challenges and opportunities that my affect the communities of GCT#3.
• Establish positive and effective working relationship with external organizations; health providers and communities.
• During the emergency/pandemic situation, job duties will be reviewed and reassigned accordingly.
• All other related duties assigned by supervisor and leadership of GCT#3.
• College or University degree in Nursing/Health Sciences/ Social Work.
• 3 years plus experience working with Diabetes Programs and Management.
• Knowledge of Diabetes Prevention, Treatment and Care.
• Experience working with Indigenous communities.
• Lived experience with Diabetes and Ojibway language is an asset.
• Proficient use of various office based software including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and
Power Point), online video-conferencing platforms (Zoom, Blue Jeans, Microsoft team).
• An understanding of the Anishinaabe language, culture and traditions.
• Ability to work with all levels of employees and departments.
• Ability to provide professional customer service.
• Effective and comfortable with public speaking.
• Communicate effectively and diplomatically orally and in writing.
• Fluency in First Nations language considered an asset.
• Proven skill to format and draft correspondence, forms, reports, and proposals.
• Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Ability to organize, prioritize and multi-task.
• Ability to take initiative and work with minimal supervision.
• Must have valid driver’s license, in good standing and a reliable vehicle.
• Must have a clear criminal records/vulnerable sector check is required upon hiring.
• Must be able to travel on short notice.
• Travel may be required within Kenora and surrounding areas.
• Busy office setting and repetitive work.
• Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
• Interacts with public at large.
• Overtime may be required.
Please send cover letter, resume, and contact information for 3 references to the attention of:
Oluyinka Leigh, Human Resource Manager
Grand Council Treaty #3
P.O Box 1720 Kenora, ON
We would like to thank all candidates in advance for their interest in this position, however only those being considered will be contacted. At Grand Council Treaty #3, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, advise Human Resources when applying for the position.
Job type: Contract