Posted on January 4, 2022. Primary Region: Dryden, ON
Position Title: Treaty #3 Youth Forestry Intern
Positions Available: 2 positions (Thunder Bay and Kenora/Dryden area)
Unit: Territorial Planning Unit
Location: Grand Council Treaty #3 Administrative Office, Kenora, ON
Closing Date: Open until filled
Duration: 6 month internship
Working in the Territorial Planning Unit, the Treaty #3 Youth Forestry Intern will attend, facilitate and create materials for the Treaty #3 Collaboration in the Bush project focused around Treaty #3 Forestry Initiatives. The Youth Interns will work as a team in collaboration with the Grand Council Treaty #3 Territorial Planning Unit, Kenora Resource Consultants and NorthWinds Environmental Services to carry out the deliverables of the project. The Interns will learn from Treaty #3 Communities, elders, staff and consultants about the forestry project and support development of a Treaty #3 forest strategy.
• Builds and maintains relationships with Treaty 3 communities and other organizations to stimulate information sharing;
• Works in the Forestry Team with Treaty #3 Forestry Interns, Staff and Consultants to support and guide the implementation of the Collaboration in the Bush project;
• Meets with Treaty 3 Communities to gain an understanding of local issues and enhance working relationships with each community;
• Build skills and knowledge to supplement future career opportunities;
• Organizes and attends meetings to present general information to Treaty 3 communities and acts as general point of contact for TPU on all Forestry or related matters;
• Builds and maintains relationships with Treaty #3 Advisory Councils for input in Treaty #3 Forestry initiatives;
• Represents Grand Council Treaty 3 at meetings, workshops, and conferences and / or as directed by an immediate supervisor;
• During an emergency epidemic/pandemic situation, job duties will be reviewed and reassigned accordingly;
• Assists in the day-to-day administration of the Territorial Planning Unit.
• Treaty #3 youth;
• Interest and desire to learn about Forestry in the Treaty #3 Territory & Anishinaabe Inakonigaawin (MAI & Nibi);
• Valid Ontario driver’s license is considered an asset.
• The intern will develop written and verbal communication skills to share information on Forestry;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective, respectful working relationships with GCT3 staff, Treaty 3 Communities, and the general public;
• Ability to work independently and manage workloads, set priorities, meet deadlines, and bring
energy to learn in a dynamic Territorial Planning Unit;
• Proficient use of various office based software including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and
Power Point), online video-conferencing platforms (Zoom, Blue Jeans, Microsoft team).
• Must have valid driver’s license, in good standing and a reliable vehicle;
• Must have a clear criminal records/vulnerable sector check is required upon hiring;
• Must be able to travel on short notice;
• Travel may be required within Kenora and surrounding areas;
• Busy office setting and repetitive work;
• Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals;
• Interacts with public at large; Overtime may be required.
Please send cover letter, resume, and contact information for 3 references to the attention of:
Oluyinka Leigh, Human Resource Manager
Grand Council Treaty #3
P.O Box 1720 Kenora, Ontario P9N 3X7
We would like to thank all candidates in advance for their interest in this position, however only those being considered will be contacted. At Grand Council Treaty #3, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, advise Human Resources when applying for the position.
Job type: Term