The role of the Food Management Intern is to assist Graham & Graham Trading Co Inc. with the development and implementation of all components of the corporation’s food and restaurant businesses in Northwestern Ontario.
Under the direct supervision of the CEO, the Food Management Intern’s role is to provide assist with the coordination and management of the various food/restaurant operations under Graham & Graham Trading Co Inc. in Kenora, Thunder Bay and throughout Northwestern Ontario. The Food Management Intern will be in charge of all of the food created inside the kitchen of the restaurant and food service trucks. Their duties include creating and developing a menu, managing kitchen staff members, and helping prepare the meals served in the establishments.
Required Skills & Qualifications
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must possess the following:
1) Should hold a post-secondary degree or diploma in culinary studies or hospitality from a recognized institution or significant experience in the field of food preparation and management.
2) Strong culinary and food preparation skills.
3) Strong communication, English, and mathematical skills are required
4) Strong planning skills are required
5) Knowledge of Anishinaabe language, culture, and traditions.
6) Clear criminal record check and vulnerable sector check is required.
7) Possess the ability to manage a reasonable workload; effective priority-setting and follow-up.
8) Possess the ability to establish and maintain appropriate working rapport with others.
9) Have a valid driver’s license, access to an insured vehicle, and willingness to travel.
10) Candidate must be a new entrant into the workforce, are transitioning to a new career, or the unemployed or underemployed who are entering a new field.
11) Candidate must have not previously participated in an NOHFC funded internship in the 2020 Mandate
12) Candidate must be 18 years of age or older.
13) Candidate must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
14) Once hired, the candidate must reside in the Northern Ontario community in which they are employed.
Along with their resume and cover letter, applicants must submit a current criminal record check and three references. Application packages must be submitted by Tuesday June 28thth 2022 at 12:00 p.m. noon EST to:
Graham & Graham Trading Co Inc.
128 Main Street South
Telephone: (807) 467-8525 Fax: (807) 467-8200
1. Implement and coordinate food and restaurant operations and projects for Graham & Graham Trading Co Inc.
The following are the specific duties of the Food Management Intern:
• Developing a culinary plan to ensure quality satisfaction with both long- and short-term goals
• Enhancing food quality by creating standards for other kitchen staff members
• Monitoring the prices set on a menu by overseeing and comparing it to the cost of inventory, food orders, and supplies
• Assisting with the creation of seasonal, monthly, or annual menus
• Working with the Restaurant Manager or equivalent to ensure food, beverage, and labour budgets are maintained and monitored
• Supervising daily activities of the kitchen staff including Prep Cooks, Specialist Chefs, Cooks, and Assistants
• Ensuring all kitchen equipment is running efficiently and arranging repairs or new parts when required
• Looking over operating costs of running the kitchen to ensure food, equipment, and staffing budgets are not exceeded
• Explore new restaurant projects and opportunities
• Other duties as assigned by the CEO and/or President
To commensurate with education and experience.
This opportunity is proudly supported by Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation and is funded through the Indigenous Workforce Development Program. It is a requirement under this program that the selected candidate for this position self-identify as an Indigenous person. Eligibility requirements of the program can be found here: https://nohfc.ca/en/pages/programs/people-talent-program/indigenous-workforce-development-stream
Note: We thank all those who have expressed an interest in this position; however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job type: Full-time