Position: Assistant Program Coordinator – Multi Sport
Cochrane Multisport is a collaborative project, for children 6-7 years old, between community sport organizations and Sport for Life Cochrane with the support of the Town of Cochrane and community stakeholders.
Our vision is to grow children through sport by providing opportunities to develop the skills and confidence to enjoy the positive benefits of a quality, first sport experience.
The program will run for 10 months (September 12, 2017 to June 14, 2018) with a maximum of 30 children. Sessions will run twice a week for one hour each. All sessions will take place at Elizabeth Barrett School from 5:00-6:00pm on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Qualified coaches from various local sport organizations will be working with the kids each week to teach them the fundamentals skills and movements of their sport. Children will receive approximately 4 weeks of programming for 10 different sports.
We are seeking a proactive, positive, and outgoing individual with strong leadership skills to join our team. The successful candidate will have excellent communication and problem-solving skills and an interest in working with children.
The role of the Assistant Program Coordinator in the multi-sport program is to be the point of contact for parents, participants, volunteers, and the sport organizations during the Thursday evening session. Having a consistent and familiar individual who is knowledgeable about the of the program and the participants is essential. Each time a sport changes it is important that the Assistant Program Coordinator ensures continuity and communication with the parents and the sport coach leaders, as well as ensuring consistency in program delivery for the children. The successful candidate will be the leader of the program and the sport coaches are the guests who deliver the sport specific programming.
• Arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the start of the program
• Manage volunteers and staff on shift
• Greet families and take attendance
• Be aware of the participants needs, ensure you are aware of the medical and other needs of the participants as listed on the participant list at the program.
• Assist the sport coaches with set up of equipment for the activities
• Establish behaviour expectations for the participants and share the tips and tricks with the
different sport coaches so they can continue with the same methods if appropriate.
• Make recommendations to the coaches based on what you know about the participants’ skill
levels and activities in prior sports
• Ask the sport coaches how to assist in the program delivery, whether it is a sport specific station
or delivery of a general fundamental movement station
• Play, role model and assist the participants with the skills they are developing.
• Program Coordinator should be constantly interacting with the participants.
• Assist with any injuries, conflicts or participant needs to enable to the coaches to continue to
lead the programming.
• In the event of an emergency ensure procedures are followed and maintain a leadership role in
communicating with parents and participants.
• Assist with clean up that is required for the facility (sweeping, equipment away, lights off)
• Ensure all participants have been picked up prior to leaving the facility
• Stay in consistent communication with supervisors about availability, issues, successes and
• Other duties as assigned
• High School Diploma
• Completion of Post-Secondary courses in Kinesiology or Education considered an asset
• Experience working with kids as a caregiver, recreation leader, instructor, coach or related role
• Current CPR
• Available Thursday evenings 4:45pm-6:15pm September 2017-June 2018
• $25 per hour
To apply for the Assistant Program Coordinator position please send resume to [email protected] by Monday, August 21, 2017.
Job type: Hourly