Posted on September 21, 2022. Primary Region: Kenora, ON
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY – Internal/External
NIIGANIKAAPAAWIITANG (NIIGONI) NANADAMOWIN COUNSELOR
Full Time Contract Position for one year with possible extension
Location – Kenora
The Niiganikaapaawiitang Nanadamowin Counselor (Niigoni Counselor) is a full-time contract program position. Niigoni Counselor involves aspects of case management counselling by acknowledging and integrating cultural competency and congruent services to provide best practices and traditional activities for temporary and long-term children in care, ages 0-18 years. Niigoni services are also extended to caregivers and family members to create a culturally safe network. The duties are multi-faceted and are guided by the Anishinaabemowin principles, while adhering to the provincial and federal child welfare legislation. The Niigoni counselor reports to the Resources Manager in all aspect of the job.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Recognizing and adhering to AAFS’s Mission to protect Anishinaabe Abinoojii (Anishinaabe children) and to support the healing, wellbeing and strengthening of families through Abinoojii Inakonigewin, to achieve the preservation of families and considered part of the AAFS Management Team, the major duties and responsibilities of the Niigoni Counsellor include: program and service delivery and program delivery, documentation and reporting and participates in the overall organizational strategic plan.
• B.S.W. with a minimum of three (3) years’ direct experience. A combination of related education, experience and skills may be considered;
• Knowledge of the Child and Family Services Act and Regulations;
• Knowledge of developmental stages of children ages 0-18 including the Traditional Life Stages as understood by the northern communities in Treaty #3;
• Knowledge of the Abinooji Inakonigewin, Community Codes, Child, Youth and Family Service Act with particular attention to Customary Care and Custom Adoption policies, practices and services;
• Understanding of local customs and traditions and have a community minded approach;
• Knowledge of systems theory and its application to children and families including a clear understanding between clinical and culturally determined behaviors;
• Working knowledge and experience in a variety of computer programs including Microsoft Office Suite, and service-based systems;
• Excellent time management with the ability to plan accordingly to flocculate project timelines and goals;
• Must possess a valid Ontario “G” Driver’s License, be willing to travel and provide a Drivers Abstract; and
• Ability to speak Anishinaabemowin is considered an asset.
Normally performed in a typical interior office environment generally working at a set schedule of standard business hours, located in the offices of AAFS. The position will require sitting for long periods of time at a desk, perhaps sharing a workspace with other colleagues. The incumbent will be required to work in an atmosphere adhering to strict deadlines and at times consisting of repetitive duties that may involve a computer, website, telephone and faxing requirements. Periodic travel is also required.
AAFS requires all employees, contractors, students, and volunteers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, absent of a valid medical exemption or other reasonable consideration pursuant to the Human Rights Code of Ontario.
Salary Range: $64,414 – 79,000 per annum
Benefits: This contract position is eligible for 4 weeks paid vacation, Extended Health, Dental, AD&D and Group Life benefits and voluntary participation in the AAFS Pension program.
We are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the First Nations communities that we serve. Preference will be given to Internal and/or Indigenous applicants. Please self-identify upon applying.
AAFS welcomes and encourages applications from peoples with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request.
Applicants resumes may be used to create a qualified candidates list for recruitment of other positions within our organization.
IF THIS EXCITING OPPORTUNITY INTERESTS YOU, PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR RESUME WITH COVER LETTER QUOTING FILE #NC20221005 and indicating preferred community to:
Manager of Human Resources by Email: AAFS.HumanResources@aafs.ca
or c/o 20 Main Street South, Kenora, Ontario P9N 1S7 Fax: (807) 548-1345
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT APPLICATION IS: WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 05, 2022 at 4:30pm
Job type: Contract