EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY – Internal/External
Child Care Worker
Full-Time Contract for 6 months with possible extension
Location – Kenora
The Child Care Worker is a full-time contract program position. The Child Care Worker provides direct services to children who are in temporary or long-term care of the Agency. The Child Care Worker provides case management services to ensure the needs of the child are met according to Anishinaabe Abinoojii Family Services (AAFS) philosophy, First Nation standards, and Provincial regulations and standards. The Child Care Worker reports to the Resource Manager in all aspects of job function.
• Bachelor of Social Work Degree or Community College Diploma with two (2) years experience in services to children and families or comparable human services program is preferred, however a combination of related education, experience, and skills may be considered;
• Thorough knowledge of the Child, Youth and Family Services Act and Regulations, Customary Care and the philosophy of service delivery, First Nation communities, family structure, and local customs and traditions;
• Working knowledge of the administrative structure and operations of AAFS including policies, procedures, guidelines, and protocols;
• Expert knowledge of provincial child care regulations and standards such as, but not limited to mandatory visits, plans of care and plans of care reviews, social histories, health records, school reports, rights and responsibilities, serious occurrences, and other assessments;
• Demonstrated ability to complete case management requirements within legislated timelines;
• Proven ability to develop a comprehensive Plan of Care, setting goals and objectives specific to the child ensuring connection to family and community, and developmental, educational, recreational, social, religious and cultural needs of the child are met;
• Proven ability to monitor and update the child’s Plan of Care to set new goals and objectives as they are achieved or as changes occur in the overall planning for the child;
• Ability to build and maintain trusting relationships and advocate for the child;
• Proven ability to work with children of a wide range of developmental, social, and family backgrounds;
• Ability to consult with and take direction from the Resource Manager at all critical decision points throughout the case;
• Extensive experience working with a computerized data base;
• Excellent communication, organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills;
• Committed to ensure the highest level of confidentiality at all times;
• Must provide after hours On-Call duties as part of the rotating schedule;
• Must possess a valid Ontario G Driver’s License, be willing to travel and provide a Driver Abstract; and
• Ability to speak Anishinaabemowin is preferred and a definite asset.
The work will be normally performed in a typical interior and office environment located in the offices of AAFS. The position will require the incumbent to enter into the homes of families and provide Family Services Worker services and work in high stress social settings, work with potential aggressive clientele, volatile sociopolitical environments, being called out with no notice to emergency situations, travel to semi-remote Anishinaabe communities on rough and winding class “C” roadways and in various weather conditions, exposure to diverse living conditions and community environments and different sociocultural milieus.
AAFS requires all employees, contractors, students, and volunteers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, absent of a valid medical exemption or other reasonable consideration pursuant to the Human Rights Code of Ontario.
Salary Range: $60,700 - $74,445 per annum
We are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the First Nations communities that we serve. Preference will be given to Internal and/or Indigenous applicants. Please self-identify upon applying.
AAFS welcomes and encourages applications from peoples with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request.
Applicants resumes may be used to create a qualified candidates list for recruitment of other positions within our organization.
IF THIS EXCITING OPPORTUNITY INTERESTS YOU, PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR RESUME WITH COVER LETTER QUOTING FILE #CCW20221005 to:
Manager of Human Resources by Email: AAFS.HumanResources@aafs.ca
or c/o 20 Main Street South, Kenora, Ontario P9N 1S7 Fax: (807) 548-1345
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT APPLICATION IS: WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 05, 2022 at 4:30pm
Job type: Contract