EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY – Internal/External
Mobile Crisis Worker
Full Time Contract Position for one year with possible extension
Location – Kenora
The Mobile Crisis Worker is responsible for the security of designated AAFS buildings and property and for locating and returning any child/youth that are in care of the agency who has missed curfew or is absent without permission. The Mobile Crisis Worker reports directly to the Mobile Crisis Coordinator for the Makwa Ganaatamaaget Team.
This position requires the skills and ability to engage with both voluntary and involuntary clients, knowledge of child development, ability to work as a team and excellent communication skills. Mobile Crisis Workers must possess the ability to be non-judgmental, exercise good judgement, maintain objectivity when working under pressure and work collaboratively with other service providers.
• Community College Diploma with one (1) year direct experience is preferred, however a combination of related education, experience and skills may be considered;
• Knowledge of the Child, Youth and Family Services Act and Regulations and the Young Offenders Act;
• Working knowledge of the Ontario Child Protection Standards;
• Knowledge of the administrative structure and operations of Anishinaabe Abinoojii Family Services, AAFS communities and family structure, and local customs and traditions;
• Ability to take direction and work within the policies, procedures, and guidelines as well as the mission, philosophy and core values of the agency;
• Strong commitment to helping Anishinaabe children and their families by providing services in a way that respects Anishinaabe cultural and spiritual practices;
• Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with other local emergency service providers;
• Ability to engage and develop relationships with high risk youth;
• Excellent written communication skills as required for reports, client files and documentation that may be required by law enforcement;
• Ability to maintain confidentiality;
• Ability to work shift work and report to work on short notice in relation to service requirements;
• Some understanding of the security industry would be considered an asset;
• Current First Aid and CPR Certificates is preferred and a definite asset;
• Must possess a valid Ontario G Drivers License, be willing to drive and provide a Drivers Abstract; and
• Ability to speak Anishinaabemowin is preferred and a definite asset.
The position will require the successful candidate to lift up to a maximum of 50Ibs and work in high stress social settings, work with potential aggressive clientele, volatile sociopolitical environments, being called out with no notice to emergency situations, travel to semi-remote Anishinaabe communities on rough and winding class “C” roadways and in various weather conditions, exposure to diverse living conditions and community environments and different sociocultural milieus.
AAFS requires all employees, contractors, students, and volunteers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, absent of a valid medical exemption or other reasonable consideration pursuant to the Human Rights Code of Ontario.
Salary Range: $48,000 annually
Benefits: This contract position is eligible for 4 weeks paid vacation, Extended Health, Dental, AD&D and Group Life benefits and voluntary participation in the AAFS Pension program.
We are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the First Nations communities that we serve. Preference will be given to Internal and/or Indigenous applicants. Please self-identify upon applying.
AAFS welcomes and encourages applications from peoples with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request
Applicants resumes may be used to create a qualified candidates list for recruitment of other positions within our organization.
IF THIS EXCITING OPPORTUNITY INTERESTS YOU, PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR RESUME WITH COVER LETTER QUOTING FILE #MCW20221005 to:
Manager of Human Resources by Email: AAFS.HumanResources@aafs.ca
or c/o 20 Main Street South, Kenora, Ontario P9N 1S7 Fax: (807) 548-1345
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT APPLICATION IS: WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 05, 2022 at 4:30pm
Job type: Contract