Posted on September 21, 2022. Primary Region: Winnipeg, MB
As Senior Production Manager of Hog Production, you will step into a role that leads the hog production flow in Western Manitoba (Westman), which consists of 4 sow units (11,000 sows producing 300,000 weaned pigs per year).
This position is responsible for all elements of swine production and management, including offering swine production resources to the senior production management team, as well as expertise and financial stewardship and human resource responsibilities.
As Senior Production Manager, you will also closely lead a high-performance finance team and partners with operations. This position is vital to both finance and operational teams, bringing expertise in management and cost accounting. You will identify opportunities for improvements within operations and hog production. Working with a team, this position crosses departments and allows you to see all aspects of farm operations, and interact with people at various levels throughout the organization.
- Accountable for the highest level of swine production performance and efficiency, in a particularly competitive market.
- Responsible for the optimization of sow, nursery, and finishing hogs across the Westman production flow.
- Provide monthly reporting and forecasting of swine production metrics for the Westman flow.
- Ensure compliance with Occupational Safety and Health, Canadian Pork Excellence, and Animal Health and Welfare.
- Focus on continuous results improvement and sustainability.
- Develop annual overhead budgets, i.e., production and overhead costs, labour utilization, operational improvements, profit/loss, direct production cost targets focused on upgraded financial performance.
- Develop and implement strategies that continue to advance both growth and earnings within hog production.
- Lead and execute the strategic direction of our swine program, as part of the senior production management team.
- Build and maintain an environment of employee teamwork, structured toward process improvement and efficiency. Develop employee talent through skill development and training. Work closely with Barn Managers and Human Resources to monitor and maintain employee performance and employee engagement.
- Oversee the performance of hourly and salaried staff, through implementation of Human Resources processes and policies.
- Set and meet all health and safety goals, and assist with management goals.
- Maintain the highest standards of animal welfare within farm facilities.
- Maintain the highest standards of biosecurity, safety and sanitation for employees, suppliers, customers, vendors, and business partners, who interact with the companies.
- Guide maintenance of facilities and equipment.
- Active in capital expenditure and various team projects, and lead projects when required.
- Ensure peak operational performance related to capital improvements and maintenance requirements.
- Travel throughout Western Manitoba as required.
- Be part of a company with a unique vision, with a deep commitment to leadership in hog production.
- Comprehensive Health and Wellness benefits and a Pension Plan starting after one year of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program.
We value those who are passionate about coaching and inspiring others. You will have experience leading teams to deliver top results. Developing, fostering, and influencing relationships within the hog production team and with external stakeholders is crucial to this role. Your approach will be collaborative and empowering, offering an opportunity where everyone feels comfortable when tabling new ideas. Having a continuous improvement mindset, the ability to solve problems, and a strong desire to learn will make an impact. Understanding of PigChamp and Microsoft Office applications, particularly MS Excel is essential. Additional requirements include:
- Post-secondary education in Agriculture.
- 10 years minimum experience within a swine production environment.
- 5+ years experience in a management role.
- Proven experience implementing new processes.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to make time-sensitive decisions.
- Ability to develop, foster, and inspire unified teams.
Job type: Full-time