EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY - INTERNAL/EXTERNAL
Location – Kenora
The Communications Officer (CO) is a full-time contract position. The CO will carry out communication directives from leadership and be responsible for the agency’s public relations messaging including internal and external communication such as: drafting newsletters, press releases, position statements and briefing notes. The CO will collaborate with media outlets, develop and maintain the agency’s social media presence and update the AAFS website. The CO will develop relationships with First Nations communities within the AAFS service area and work with government entities and other relevant agencies.
• Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of three years applied practice in a communications role; a combination of education, experience and knowledge may be considered
• Management and administrative experience in a social service agency setting
• Working knowledge of the Child, Youth and Family Services Act and Regulations and the Child Protection Standards for Ontario
• Superior knowledge of Customary Care and the philosophy of service development
• Working knowledge of, or willingness to learn, the AAFS administrative operations and structure
• Knowledge of AAFS member First Nation communities including tribal and external service agencies
• Required understanding of local customs and traditions that utilize a community minded approach
• Excellent communication, organization, problem-solving, and leadership skills
• Proven ability to establish and maintain purposeful relationships with AAFS staff and management, clients, community members, and external organizations
• Ability to establish effective communications with all internal teams to assist with their coordination of services and attainment of service objectives for AAFS and transferred agencies
• Ability to build, maintain and expand an extensive network of contacts for proper distribution of agency communications to external stakeholders and member communities
• Excellent time management with the ability to plan accordingly to project timelines and goals
• Excellent assessment and analytical skills with proven ability to determine successful outcomes and goals including planning, organizing, problem solving and decision making
• Ability to ensures the AAFS philosophy, policies, procedures, strategies and guidelines, First Nation mandates and provincial legislation, regulations and standards are provided to all employees of AAFS, and to monitor any updates for input
• Ability to create informative and well-designed newsletters, invitations, precise briefing notes and effective position statements
• Direct working knowledge and experience in web design and social media for businesses and a variety of computer programs such as Microsoft Office Suite, SharePoint, Adobe Pro and InDesign
• Ability to flex daily work hours as determined by the Director of Social, Strategic Planning and Policy
• Must possess a valid Ontario G Driver’s Licence, be willing to travel and provide a Driver’s Abstract; and
• Ability to speak Anishinaabemowin is preferred and a definite asset.
Normally performed in a typical interior office environment generally working at a set schedule of standard business hours, located in the offices of AAFS. The position will require sitting for long periods of time at a desk, perhaps sharing a work space with other colleagues. The incumbent will be required to work in an atmosphere adhering to strict deadlines and at times consisting of repetitive duties that may involve a computer, website, telephone and faxing requirements. Periodic travel is also required.
AAFS requires all employees, contractors, students, and volunteers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, absent of a valid medical exemption or other reasonable consideration pursuant to the Human Right Code of Ontario.
Salary Range: $63,983 - $78,471 per annum
Benefits: This contract position is eligible for 4 weeks paid vacation, Extended Health, Dental, AD&D and Group Life benefits and voluntary participation in the AAFS Pension program.
We are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the First Nations communities that we serve. Preference will be given to Internal and/or Indigenous applicants. Please self-identify upon applying.
AAFS welcomes and encourages applications from peoples with disabilities.
Accommodations are available upon request.
Applicants resumes may be used to create a qualified candidates list for recruitment of other positions within our organization.
IF THIS EXCITING OPPORTUNITY INTERESTS YOU
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR RESUME WITH COVER LETTER QUOTING FILE
Manager of Human Resources c/o 20 Main Street South, Kenora, Ontario P9N 1S7
Fax: (807) 548-1345 or by Email: AAFS.HumanResources@aafs.ca
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT APPLICATION IS: WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 05, 2022 @ 4:30pm
Job type: Contract