Posted on November 24, 2022. Primary Region: Portage la Prairie, MB
Term Educational Assistant
St. Laurent School - 5.5 hrs/day
The Prairie Rose School Division acknowledges that it is in Treaty 1 territory and that the land on which we gather is the traditional territory of the Anishinaabe, and the homeland of the Métis Nation. We respect the Treaties that were made on these territories, we acknowledge the harms and mistakes of the past, and we dedicate ourselves to move forward in partnership with Indigenous communities in a spirit of reconciliation and collaboration.
Working with teachers and divisional resources, the successful candidates will assist in developing lifelong learners in a safe and supportive environment. Preference will be given to those applying with an aptitude for working with senior years’ students . Educational Assistants are 10 month employees, employed from September till June.
• 5.5 hours/day
• Salary: $16.91/hour as per Collective Agreement.
• Effective: ASAP to June 30, 2023.
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills and Qualifications:
• Grade 12 or equivalent combination of education and experience; Educational Assistant Diploma is an asset.
• Demonstrated ability to work with male Indigenous youth.
• Demonstrated skill in supporting student specific planning as identified in an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or Student Specific Plan (SSP). This includes responding appropriately to changes in mental status using predetermined student-specific strategies to prevent further deterioration, encourage appropriate behavior, and facilitate safe transitions between changing states.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain confidential information.
• Demonstrated ability to have good interpersonal skills with staff and community.
Ability to take direction and work cooperatively with other adults.
• Ability to maintain daily records of activities and observations.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Willingness to learn new techniques and strategies for helping children learn.
• Willingness and ability to support and guide children with challenging behaviour.
• Training/experience with reading and numeracy supports an asset.
• First Aid/CPR Training and WEVAS Training or Low Arousal Training an asset.
• Fluency (oral and written) in both official languages (French & English) is considered an asset.
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Bobby Ellis, St. Laurent School Interim Principal at 204-646-2209
Application must be received by 4:00 p.m. on the closing date and include an up-to-date resume detailing qualifications, experience and/or other relevant information and three references who can provide information on your ability.
Human Resources, Box 1510, 45 Main Street South, Carman, MB R0G 0J0;
by Fax: 204-745-3699; or e-mail to: email@example.com
Closing Date: December 2, 2022
Clear criminal record and abuse checks are required of all employees of the school division. Prairie Rose School Division reserves the right to verify the authenticity of all submitted references. We thank all for applying, but only applications leading to interviews will be acknowledged. Accessibility resources will be provided upon request. This document is available in alternate formats by request.
Job type: Part-time