Posted on November 24, 2022. Primary Region: Portage la Prairie, MB
DIRECT SUPPORT WORKER 3
PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE
New Directions is a social service agency offering a wide range of resources and services that provide supports in a variety of settings and foster people’s hopes and dreams in their communities.
We are currently seeking Direct Support Workers to join the Regional Services team. Regional Services provides a range of resources offered by New Directions including Regional Shift Staffed Homes and Supported Independent Living. Our services support people who have intellectual disabilities and/or mental health barriers to find purpose and meaning outside of their home. This is accomplished by creating an environment that encourages the participation of adults, supports their pursuits, interests, and goals, and facilitates the maintenance and strengthening of relationships between adults and their significant others. It is our goal to create a non-judgmental, safe, and caring environment.
Shift Staffed Homes operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Responsibilities May Include:
• Empowering individuals to gain and maintain independent living situations (apartments, rooming houses etc.)
• Assisting with apartment management, liaising with landlords, and Employment and Income Assistance (EIA)
• Administering medication
• Providing transportation
• Perform household chores including but not limited to grocery shopping, meals preparation, cleaning, and budgeting
• Ensuring Fire safety and Public Health Standards are maintained
• Helping residents live their best lives as defined by the individual
• Individualized focus towards residents’ health and making appointments
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications/experience:
• High School Diploma or equivalent. Preference will be given to candidates with post-secondary education in the area(s) of disability services, addictions, mental health, and related education
• Experience working with people with intellectual disabilities
• Knowledge of FASD, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Mood Disorders, Anxiety Disorders, Schizophrenia, Borderline Personalities, and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder would be an asset
• Effective problem-solving ability & strong communication skills
• The ability to work independently and as a part of a team
• Willingness to practise compassion, empathy, integrity and promote self-advocacy
• Possess the ability to take initiative and work with minimal supervision
• Valid First Aid & CPR
• Nonviolent Crisis Intervention Training (NCI) certification and American Sign Language (ASL) are considered assets
• Clear Criminal, Adult and Child Abuse Registry Checks
• A valid Class 5 driver’s license, current Driver’s Abstract and access to personal vehicle is preferred
What we offer:
• Industry competitive wage
• Work-life balance and positive leadership
• Significant growth and training
Would you like to help build a community that values all people? Are you interested in supporting people to meet their full potential? We offer flexible work including a variety of day, evening, and awake overnight shifts.
The salary range for this position is $15.89 to $22.25 per hour, dependent upon education and/or experience.
With a commitment to health and safety and in order to continue our mission “to provide responsive and individualized services”, New Directions for Children, Youth, Adults & Families requires proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, in a manner approved by Health Canada, as a condition of employment for all new employees. (Exceptions and accommodations will be made for those who are exempt from receiving the vaccine due to legitimate, established reasons in accordance with The Human Rights Code of Manitoba. In these cases, reasonable supporting documentation will be required.)
Please put “DSW3(PART-TIME)” in the subject line of your email and forward your resume and cover letter to:
New Directions for Children, Youth, Adult and Families
437 Tupper Street N, Portage La Prairie, MB R1N 1X4
Applicants who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing are encouraged to apply directly to employment.DeafHH@newdirections.mb.ca, for an accessible application and selection process
We thank all applicants for their interest in New Directions; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
New Directions is committed to equity and diversity and especially welcomes applications from persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and newcomers to Canada. We strive for a skilled workforce that reflects the diversity of the people we support and contributes to the diversification of ideas.
Accommodations for accessibility purposes are available for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Job type: Part-time