For nearly a century, Providence has been a Christian academic community in the evangelical tradition that teaches people to grow in knowledge and character for leadership and service. Our vision is to become a leading Canadian Christ-centred university that transforms students into leaders of knowledge, character, and faith to serve Christ in a changing world.
Reporting to the Vice President of Operations, the Director of Athletics is responsible to oversee the holistic development of the varsity athletic programs, and recreation and fitness opportunities, for a vibrant and growing Christian campus. The Director will ensure the continued flourishing and further development of Providence’s Sports Camps and Junior Pilots Club program. The Director shall be an active participant provincially with Manitoba Colleges Athletics Conference (MCAC), nationally with Canadian Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) and National Christian Colleges Athletic Association (NCCAA), and regionally with the Northern Intercollegiate Athletics Conference (NIAC). The Director oversees all staffing, administration, programming, facilities, strategic planning, fundraising initiatives, and the development of all athletic programs.
This position requires an individual who possesses an exceptional ability to plan strategically and execute the plan tactically. The individual must be able to develop paid and volunteer staffing, maintain and develop a strong model for sustainability and growth, and work with athletes and coaching staff to develop Christ-centered personal growth, character, servant leadership, interpersonal skills, academic success, and athletic excellence. This will be done within a strong commitment to the Christian faith and in support of the strategic plan of the University.
The individual must possess knowledge of industry leading practices in varsity athletics, recruiting, marketing and branding awareness, fundraising, and the ability to clearly and enthusiastically articulate vision, in order to build a program that is highly missional and nationally competitive while supporting institutional strategic initiatives.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Budgets: varsity, sports camps and Junior Pilots club, including but not limited to all fees, memberships, equipment purchases, and operating revenues and expenses
● Coach and administrative staff: Hire, manage, and lead all activities including department meetings, one-on-one meetings, evaluation meetings, etc., creating a positive culture of consistent goal setting, efficient execution, and regular accountability to deadlines and standards.
● Character, Faith & Leadership: Continue, and build on, established strategies for intentionally investing in the character, faith, and leadership development of student-athletes.
● Service & Volunteering: Continue, and build on, established strategies for intentionally creating a culture and framework of service to others.
● Athletics partnerships: manage all activities, solicitation, cultivation, engagement, and stewardship of internal, external, and third-party partnerships.
● Athletics revenue generation: manage initiatives for the Aviator’s Club, Adopt-a-Pilot, and Athletic scholarships, with continued growth of a consistent and reliable donor and partnership base.
● Alumni: Develop, maintain, and steward strong connections with alumni, providing opportunities for engagement and staying connected to the program and teams.
● Recruiting: Establish clear recruiting guidelines and goals, ensuring coaches continue using the Recruitment Pipeline and Athlete Rubric frameworks.
● Academics: Maintain a positive and collaborative spirit with academic leadership and faculty. Continue to maintain and develop a high priority for academic success, expectations, and supports, ensuring athletic schedules and commitments allow for the opportunity of student success.
● Compliance: Ensure compliance with Providence policies (institutional & athletic department), MCAC, CCAA, and NCCAA handbooks, eligibility, etc., through training of coaches, a formal athlete orientation at the beginning of each year, and by ensuring ongoing support and accountability throughout the year.
● Scheduling: Varsity season schedules and travel, varsity practices, Providence athletic facilities, external partner facilities, etc.
● Marketing & Branding: Ensure all activities including website, social media, publications, signage, etc., follow the Providence Pilots and Providence University College branding guidelines.
● Internal Committees: Director’s Committee, Provost Council, Faculty Council, Academic Committee, Scholarship Committee, Prospect Management Committee, Accountability Committee.
● External Committees: MCAC Conference Representative, NCCAA Representative, NIAC Conference Representative, MCAC, CCAA and NCCAA committees as assigned.
• To be in good standing with a local church
• An enthusiastic personal faith commitment
• A commitment to Christian higher education and to Christian ministry
• Affirm the Statement of Faith of Providence University College and Theological Seminary as outlined in the Employee Handbook
• Able and willing to uphold the Covenant of Community Life and model conduct accordingly
• Strong missional understanding
• Excellent organizational and management abilities
• Proven strengths in relationship management
• Strong understanding of student-athlete recruitment and retention
• Strong understanding of coaching and leadership of varsity sports
• Strong understanding of interpersonal and motivational skills
• Ability to manage a budget and consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions
• Lead and motivate others
• Establish and achieve clear outcomes
• Work independently, and in conjunction with others
• Strong solution orientation to challenges with a keen ability to develop, evaluate, and implement solutions
• Thorough knowledge of league regulations, requirements, and reporting systems
• Ability to give full attention to what other people are saying and to use logic and reason to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions
• Willingness to lead, model behaviour, demonstrate, and offer direction
• Proven ability to maintain composure, keep emotions in check, and avoid aggressive behavior, even in difficult situations
• Foster a philosophy of student recruitment and emphasize the value of academic excellence as an athlete
• Willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges
• Ability to work on multiple tasks at one time
• Attentive to detail and thorough in completing work tasks
• Excellent oral and written skills
• Ability to move about campus and interact with students, faculty, staff, and guests, visiting teams
• Capable of moving athletic and recreation equipment
• Tact, persuasiveness, persistence, and diplomacy
• Judgment, initiative, reliability, flexibility, creativity, and latitude
• Reliable, responsible, and dependable
• Proficient in MS Office 365
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS
• Minimum of an undergraduate degree, preferably in either Sports Management or Business;
• Master’s degree an asset;
• Minimum of three years related experience in post-secondary athletic programming, or equivalent;
• College coaching experience preferred;
• Strong understanding of post-secondary varsity athletics, enrolment, branding, and administration;
• Proven background in oversight and management of multiple employees;
Submit a cover letter and resume by email to:
Scott Masterson, Vice President Operations & Director of Athletics
c/o Marlin Reimer, Human Resources Manager
This is a full-time position with some evening and weekend responsibilities.
Consideration of applications will continue until the position is filled. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however, Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents will be given priority. Applications from women and members of underrepresented groups are especially welcome. We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected to proceed in the application process will be contacted.
Further information about Providence University College and Theological Seminary may be found at prov.ca.
Job type: Full-time