Posted on May 17, 2023. Primary Region: Portage la Prairie, MB
Administrative, Entry-Level, Human Resources, Professionals
The Portage Learning and Literacy Centre is currently seeking a full-time (37.5 hours/week) Settlement Worker to provide settlement services to all newcomers to Canada, including Manitoba eligible clients:
• Temporary residents holding a valid work permit
• Refugee claimants
• Canadian-born citizens raised outside of Canada who present as newcomers
• Temporary residents holding a post-secondary study permit
• Naturalized Canadian citizens who present as newcomers
• Spouse and dependents of those listed above
This position is funded by the Province of Manitoba and focuses on informing, orienting, and connecting newcomers to their community and its resources, supporting successful social and economic integration.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Executive Director and working closely with the Settlement Coordinator and other settlement staff, this position is responsible for:
• Welcoming and assisting all newcomer clients with immediate and essential settlement services in Portage la Prairie and other communities in the Central Plains region.
• Conducting formal intakes and collecting relevant information of clients.
• Creating individually-tailored settlement plans with clients to address their basic and immediate settlement needs as well as short and long-term goals.
• Researching new resources and information to address clients’ concerns, within the scope of their identified settlement needs.
• Providing 1:1 or group based information/orientation sessions on key settlement topics and services.
• Creating opportunities for clients to access resources and information through the creation of partnerships, collaboration, and consistent referral protocols.
• Engaging clients in their local communities and building connections with community members, public institutions, employers and community organizations.
• Assisting with coordinating community activities, including events that facilitate interaction and connection between newcomers and established community members.
• Tracking statistical information and providing monthly, quarterly and annual reports.
• Conducting outreach in the community and with clients to receive regular feedback on the program and identify new opportunities for programming.
• Ensuring strict adherence to client confidentiality and all professional codes of conduct.
• Performing other duties as required for meeting all requirements of funding agreements.
• Excellent interpersonal, cross-cultural, written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain respectful and professional relationships
• Understanding and awareness of the newcomer experience, including knowledge of diversity issues and an ability to work within a cross-cultural perspective
• Developed case management skills and ability to regularly follow up with clients
• Considerable knowledge of Portage la Prairie and surrounding communities, including awareness of all resources, programs and services for referrals and partnerships
• Group facilitation and public speaking skills
• Flexible and willing to work some evenings and weekends
• Valid Driver's Licence and access to a vehicle
• Demonstrated advanced level of computer proficiency: skills with social media and a variety of software products, especially Microsoft Office
• Minimum one year of relevant experience is preferred
• Fluency in additional languages is an asset
• Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check are conditions of employment
Application Deadline: Friday, May 26, 2023 at 12:00 p.m. (noon)
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.
Job type: Full-time