Posted on November 13, 2023. Primary Region: Swift Current, SK
Under the direction of the Director of Resident Care, Personal Care Workers / Continuing Care-Aides meet resident needs through activities of daily living including physical, spiritual, and emotional needs. As a Care Aide, you are responsible for assisting residents with bathing, showering, grooming, and other personal hygiene tasks. You will also engage residents in activities like reading, talking, and playing games. Distribution of medication, taking and monitoring blood pressure, and blood sugar. Specialized care as directed and trained by LPN.
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- Personal Care Worker Course (16 hours) - Can be obtained within 3 months
- Basic First Aid/CPR
- 1 or more years experience working in an assisted living facility.
- Acknowledge and support the Core Mission, Vision, and Value statements of Prairie Wind Estate Inc.
- Have good interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills in the English language.
- Have an interest and ability to work with the elderly and disabled with empathy and concern.
- Have an ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with staff and other departments.
A. Direct Care and Monitoring of Residents
- Assists with activities of daily living as per care plan (e.g., nutrition, personal care and mobility).
- Provides bathing and grooming services (e.g., hair care, shaves, nail care, make-up).
- Assists in dressing and undresses residents.
- Provides oral care (e.g., brushing natural teeth or dentures).
- Assists residents with range-of-motion and personal exercise programs.
- Assists with treatments as per care plan (e.g., ointments and simple dressings).
- Monitors and ensures proper nutrition and hydration (e.g., assist/feed, cut meats,).
- Observes, reports (written and/or shift) and records physical and psychological observations/changes in resident condition (e.g., skin/scars/tattoos, condition of feet/nails, mobility, nutrition, vital signs and glucose levels).
- Promotes the social, spiritual, psychological and emotional well-being of residents, monitors and reports to the care team changes in behaviour.
- Promotes good communication with residents and their support system.
- Provides medication assistance as per protocol, where required.
- May assist/escort residents to activities and outings, where required (e.g., excursions where residents will be away during med distribution).
- Responds to patient call systems, where required.
B. Indirect Care
- Records information in resident’s chart.
- Files/maintains documentation (charts and notes).
- Orders, maintains and distributes inventory for resident usage (e.g., briefs, lotions, soaps, tissues).
- Records inventory items for billing purposes.
- Launders resident items, where required.
- Cleans and sanitizes all related equipment and surroundings
C. Related Key Work Activities
- May show others how to perform tasks or duties by familiarizing new employees with the work area and processes.
- Answers phones and takes messages.
- Notifies maintenance of required repairs to equipment.
- Performs security checks, where required.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principle functions of the job and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work assignments that may be inherent to the job.
Job type: Part-time