Posted on February 12, 2024. Primary Region: High River, AB
Cargill is hiring for full time Industrial Butchers to work in our beef processing facility located 30 minutes south of Calgary in High River Alberta. We are looking for applicants who value a safe stable working environment. As one of the world’s largest privately owned organizations, Cargill extends an attractive benefits package, competitive wage and enormous opportunities.
472 Ave & Highway 2A North
High River Alberta, T1V 1P4
Apply online at: https://careers.cargill.com/highriver-ab
40.00 Hours / Week
There are two shifts:
1st shift start at 7:00 am to approximately 4:00 pm with one coffee break and one lunch break
2nd shift start at 4:00 pm to approximately 1:00 am with one coffee break and one lunch break
Monday through Friday, with over-time as needed to fulfill production demands.
Over-time is at time and a half.
Career Level: Experienced – Industrial Butcher/Meat Cutter
Work setting: Slaughter House / Meat processing and packing plant
Starting rate for experienced Industrial Butchers (1 + years of experience) is $25.00/hour up to $27.75 as per collective bargaining agreement.
Benefits as per the collective bargaining agreement. Prescription medication, Disability, Medical, Dental, Vision care and Employee Assistance Program, Naturopath, Massage Therapist, Speech Therapist, Osteopath, Acupuncturist and Audiologist. Benefits will commence after three months of continues employment.
• Slaughter livestock using stunning devices and knives
• Skin, clean and trim carcasses
• Remove viscera and other inedible parts from carcasses
• Split carcasses into smaller portions to facilitate handling
• Slaughter cattle as prescribed by religious laws.
Industrial meat cutters
• Cut beef carcasses or sides or quarters of carcasses into primal cuts for further cutting, processing or packaging
• Remove bones from meat
• Cut meat into specific cuts for institutional, commercial or other wholesale use
• Remove skin, excess fat, bruises or other blemishes from carcasses or meat portions.
• Secondary high school graduation certificate
• Minimum of one year butcher/knife experience required
• Previous experience in meat processing and packing environment using manual cutting utensils and band saws is preferable. For industrial meat cutters, completion of a program in industrial meat cutting or experience as an industrial butcher is required.
• Cargill specific on-the-job training is provided for selected candidates
• Experienced as Industrial Butcher/Meat Cutter
• Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
• Ability to stand and perform repetitive physical tasks for extended periods of time
• Commitment to safety and food quality processes
• Attention to detail and work well with others
• Enthusiasm and willingness to learn and develop
• Excellent hand-eye coordination and decision-making skills
• Reliability/ Dependability
• Basic English communication skills
• Able to work in a fast paced environment
• Must pass company Medical Examination
• Must pass Criminal Background Check
• Legally entitled to work for Cargill in Canada
• Performing repetitive tasks
• Fast paced environment
• Physical Effort: This is a physically demanding position and will require continuous standing for extended periods of time, as well as some heavy lifting. Knife work involves regular repetitive use of hands, wrists, arms, shoulders.
• Physical Environment: Regular exposure to factors such as temperature extremes, moving machinery, loud noise.
• Sensory Attention: Regular need to give close attention- either hearing or seeing-
Job type: Full-time