The Foundry Maintenance Manager is responsible for improving the safe and productive operation of the foundry, mainly through ensuring the efficient and uninterrupted operation of foundry equipment and facilities. The Foundry Maintenance Manager’s primary duties are: training, guiding and supervising maintenance employees; managing costs; budgeting; sourcing, managing, and optimizing foundry equipment / process improvement projects; and, solving technical problems, often with a hands-on approach required.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
• Ensure a safe and productive work environment by educating and directing employees and ensuring compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
• Accomplish organizational targets for quality, customer service and expense by:
o Communicating job expectations;
o Planning, monitoring and appraising job results;
o Coaching, counseling and disciplining employees; and,
o Initiating, coordinating and enforcing systems, policies and procedures.
• Manage and supervise the maintenance staff to ensure that all requisite tasks are handled quickly and efficiently within budget restraints. Supervise across shifts assuming a 24-hour operation environment.
• Ensure employee performance by:
o Providing employees with informal feedback on a daily basis;
o Receiving regular feedback from employees and taking appropriate action; and,
o Resolving problems by analyzing data, investigating issues, identifying solutions and communicating directly with employees in a timely manner.
o Communicating above three points with the department managers.
• Perform highly diversified duties to install and maintain production machines and facility equipment.
• Develop, improve, maintain and manage a comprehensive and cost effective preventative maintenance program. Provide emergency/unscheduled repairs of production equipment during production and perform scheduled maintenance repairs of production equipment during machine service.
• Perform mechanic skills including, mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic, troubleshooting and repair of production machines.
• Coordinate and monitor contractor activities for routine and project work.
• Set priorities for preventative maintenance work orders, maintenance requisitions and scheduled work.
• Develop the annual maintenance budget based on equipment, history and sales forecasts.
• Manage maintenance costs through the management of resources, inventory, and developing cost effective solutions.
• Ensure company records systems and databases are updated and maintained as appropriate.
• Support Production Managers and Supervisors to maximize overall safety, productivity, product quality and reduce costs.
• Maintain inventory of equipment, manuals and warranties.
• Maintain positive relationships by following terms of the collective bargaining agreement.
• Conduct process and safety audits as assigned.
• Keep current with ongoing changes and new technology and adapt accordingly.
• Conduct all activities and execute all duties with enthusiasm and a positive, results- focused attitude.
• Support company initiatives and policies enthusiastically.
• Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience Required:
• Possess an inter-provincial Red Seal as a Millwright or Industrial Electrician; or have demonstrated skills and knowledge as a Maintenance Mechanic.
• Formal and hands-on training in the maintenance and repair of
o Hydraulic, pneumatic and electrical systems;
o PLC and other controls systems.
• Post-secondary education or training in industrial supervision, project management, lean manufacturing, or similar.
• Applicants with equivalent education combined with applicable experience may also be considered.
• Experience supervising a diverse group, including skilled tradespeople, within an industrial workplace.
• Several years’ experience as a Maintenance Mechanic or Electrician within a manufacturing operation, ideally a foundry or similar.
• Experience in a foundry environment or equivalent is considered and asset.
Skills and Attributes Required:
• Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
• Highly developed interpersonal skills with emphasis on communication and conflict resolution.
• Demonstrated success in project delivery and execution of project management methods.
• Highly motivated, self-starter. Demonstrated ability to adhere to tight schedules with minimal supervision.
• Demonstrated ability to “think outside the box” and improve processes.
• Understanding of manufacturing principles and practices, ideally combined with working knowledge of similar manufacturing equipment and processes.
• Pragmatic approach to problem solving.
• Knowledge of applicable building codes, workplace compliance regulations, ordinances and legislation.
• Proficient with MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint and other common applications.
Job type: Full-time