The Safety and Health Specialist works closely with all levels of management and employees within the manufacturing plant in Winkler to ensure a safe and healthy workplace for all employees. Additionally, the Safety and Health Specialist manages disability and return to work programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manages and facilitates both Monarch and external safety standards and certification programs, including Made Safe and WESGuard risk assessment application.
• Initiate, facilitate, implement and maintain safety and health preventative and continuous improvement initiatives.
• Review and maintain the safety orientation and programs and initiatives. Ensure that all employees know and implement Monarch’s safety program.
• Prepare Safety and Health Committee Meeting minutes monthly, distribute as required, and follow up on all points to ensure matters are resolved in an appropriate and timely manner.
• Manage safety and health supplies, safety eyewear and safety boot programs.
• Maintain records of all Safety and Health related information and documentation, reporting as required.
• Ensure compliance with all legislative and regulatory requirements, including: audiometric, respiratory, air quality, First Aid Responder, etc.
• Monitor, update and communicate the Monarch Safety and Health Program.
• Work with area teams to develop effective JHA and SWP’s for all applicable machines and processes.
• Ensure risk assessments are completed and corrective/preventative actions are taken as recommended.
• Manage monthly safety certificate program.
• Manage and support the incident investigation team and process thoroughly and effectively, including all /corrective actions.
• Ensure emergency response procedures and policy are followed.
• Maintain current knowledge of applicable legislation, industry standards and best practices for workplace safety and health.
• Manage disability and return to work programs.
• Support and promote Human Resources department initiatives and provide assistance in the absence of HR.
• Conduct all activities and execute all duties with enthusiasm and a positive, results-focused attitude.
• Support company initiatives and policies enthusiastically.
• Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
• Occupational Health and Safety Certificate or extensive relevant experience.
• Five years of experience operating in a safety and health role within a manufacturing environment or similar is preferred.
• First hand shop-floor manufacturing, or equivalent, experience is beneficial.
Skills and Attributes Required:
• Confidence, with the proven ability to build credibility and strong partnerships with all departments and at all levels.
• Organized and disciplined approach with proven ability to meet deadlines and commitments.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• High level of technical or mechanical aptitude.
• Developed problem-solving skills, with a practical approach.
• Energetic, self-motivated, creative and especially positive outlook.
• Proven ability to maintain confidences and ensure confidentiality of information and records.
• Complete proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other common applications.
Job type: Full-time